UWRF Library Catalog - The Library's catalog is the place to go to search for books, reference books, videos, DVDs, CDs, Government Documents, and more. Basically, by searching the Library's catalog, you can find a record for every item that is located in the Library and we have a nice collection of books on horticulture topics!
- To access the library catalog, click here. If you are at the library's home page, click on the tab marked "Books and More."
- You can do a quick search using "Keyword Anywhere" by just typing in general words, such as horticulture, gardening, landscaping, plants, etc. or you can search by typing in more specific words, such as names of plants - scientific or common name (such as prunus maackii - one of my favorite trees). You can also search using word combinations - for example, if I wanted to search for cold hardiness in plants - I would type in the words: cold hardiness plants in the search box. Note that when you search using Keyword Anywhere, you do not have to type in the word AND or capitalize or use commas to separate the words.
- When searching by "Advanced Keyword," you have to use a Boolean Operator. A Boolean Operator just means that you have to use AND, OR, NOT to combine the keywords that you are searching for. For example, an advanced keyword search for cats AND dogs will get you items that have both cats and dogs anywhere in the item's record.
- When you find a book or other item you are interested in, you need to know 2 things in order to find it: where the item is located (the location) and what call number is assigned to the item. Everything in the library has a unique call number, so you will need that to find the item on the shelf. The location will tell you what section in the library the item is located - the library has several sections such as the MAIN STACKS (upper level of the library), the AV ROOM (main floor), etc. If you are unsure where something is located, just ask!
- All other books and certain government documents can be checked out for 28 days. Videos can be checked out for 14 days. If an item is located on Reserve, this means that it is restricted to in-Library use only (usually a 2 hour in-library use).
- What is an E-BOOK? An E-BOOK is an electronic book that you can access through the library's catalog or through a library resource such as ebrary. The library's newest E-Book collection (ebrary) contains over 70,000 books that you have full text (meaning you can read the entire book online) access to. Click HERE to try a search in ebrary.
- Cannot find a book in our Library? Try a Universal Borrowing search. Universal Borrowing is a service where you can get a book or any other item from Stout or Eau Claire or any of the other University of Wisconsin System libraries without driving there. All you need is the 16 digit number on the bottom of your ID card.
- You can also borrow books and other items from other libraries across the United States. To find these materials, check out WorldCat. WorldCat is a database that is similar to the Library’s catalog. The Library can order most materials for you from WorldCat. When you are searching WorldCat, just look for the "Order via Interlibrary Loan" link to request an item. To use Interlibrary loan, you will need the 16 digit number on the bottom of your ID card. Plan ahead, though, as it can take at least a week or more to have materials sent to the library for you.