Tips for the Library Assignment
Here are some helpful tips for completing your library assignment:
For section 1 a b:
- Go to the U.S. Census page for Metropolitan and Micropolitan Statistical Areas.
- Under the "Decennial Census" section, click the link for "2003 metro and micro areas."
- Table 2a will provide your answers.
For section 1 c:
- Go to the U.S. Census page for American Fact Finder.
- Enter the names of each city in the box under "Get a Fact Sheet for your community."
- You will find your data on each Fact Sheet. (Hint: Be sure you are using the 2000 Census data - not estimates.)
For sections 2 a b c & 3 a b:
The library subscribes to a variety of business journal databases. They contain articles from trade journals that discuss market size, market trends, consumer spending, etc. Try searches such as: pet products and trends, pet products and industry, etc. Be creative with your search terms!
Trade associations can also be good sources of information and statistics. Google will help you find an association for pet products.
For section 3 c:
The Mediamark Reporter database will allow you to create a profile of a typical pet owner. You will need to register for a free account first. IMPORTANT: Be sure to use your UWRF email address when setting up the account. Here is a brief video that will show you how to navigate in Medimark Reporter.
For section 4 a:
The same business journal databases that you used for sections 2 and 3 can lead you to articles identifying national competitors.
For section 4 b:
For section 5:
ReferenceUSA can help you locate detailed information about millions of businesses.
For section 6:
You take it from here!